June 6th, 2006 I was asked to write my first RPG book, the critically acclaimed and fan-favourite, Children of the Horned Rat. I just found in my folders the very first notes I made on the book, before we even got jobs or the outline, just trying to get a sense of Why Skaven Are Awesome (always a great place to begin). Here then, you can see great art taking form!
I shall translate the scribbles:
(picture of a skaven)
Evil Science (& Terrorism)
(This is me nutting out the theme of the skaven, what makes them scary – a key fear vector is they are the fear of perverted science.)
In a circle: BE ASH. Not sure what that means. I think it means playing a Skaven is fun because you get to call everyone Primitive Screwheads, and build freaky robot hands and cars with medieval tech.
– smell and musk
– breeding = insane
– completely omnivorous
– resistance to disease
– CARRIERS (ala komodos, plus pestilence) – this was the old idea that komodos had no venom (now known to be false) but they ate such rotten food their breath was an infectious death sentence.
– sharp claws and teeth, strong jaw
– fur – waterproof, cold and warm
– senses – incredible
– speed and reflexes – phenomenal – good metabolism – always hungry
– can get anywhere – flexible
– strength low, courage low